Somerset Safeguarding Children Partnership
The partnership responsible for safeguarding children in Somerset has been redesigned as of 29 September 2019, as part of new arrangements introduced nationally. The statutory changes mean that three organisations – the Somerset County Council, Avon and Somerset Constabulary and Somerset Clinical Commissioning Group – now have joint and equal responsibility to safeguard children and young people, under the name of the Somerset Safeguarding Children Partnership.
The new partnership builds on the strong multi-agency working of the Somerset Safeguarding Children Board and secures future arrangements for safeguarding and improving outcomes for children and young people. The Somerset Children’s Trust merged with the new safeguarding arrangements for children to create efficiencies, and the new multi-agency partnership now takes oversight of the delivery of the Somerset Plan for Children and Young People (2019-2022).
The Somerset Safeguarding Children Partnership works with ‘relevant agencies’, who have safeguarding responsibilities under Section 11 of ‘The Children Act’ (2004), as described in ‘Working Together to Safeguard Children’ (2018).
Further information about the new safeguarding arrangements is available in the following documents:
Published September 2019
Published June 2019
The strategic aims of partnership are to ensure that effective systems are in place to promote the well-being of children and young people and safeguard them from harm. These include:
- Focusing on the impact of all forms of child abuse and neglect
- Learning, and the dissemination of learning, from local and national research, including case reviews
- Continued identification of indicators of the prevalence of all forms of child abuse and neglect in Somerset and assessing the effectiveness of progress in tackling these
- Understanding the perspectives of children and young people by asking for their views, listening to them and responding to them so that they know what has happened as a result
- Supporting and scrutinising the effectiveness of arrangements to reduce risk of abuse and neglect e.g. early help
- Improving and integrating performance monitoring for safeguarding arrangements and delivering the Somerset Plan for Children, Young People and Families
- Supporting communication and information sharing across partners.
|Caroline Dowson||Business Manager
|Steve Macabee||Training Manager|
|Nicky Allen||Audit Officer|
|Gemma Vidak||Quality Assurance Officer|
|Jennie Ross||Senior Business Unit Officer|
|Stephanie Gonzalez Quintans||Business Support Assistant|
Forum presentations – to follow